Monday, September 17, 2018

A first sample

In the interest of giving a peek into my current project, I thought I would share one of my illustrations.  And here it is:


If you cannot guess, it's a picture book about a squirrel community and the homes they've made within the trees.  I am calling it "Squirrel World".  In fact the header image for this blog also features an illustration for the project.

I am a tiny bit worried about this story because it has nothing that other successful books do.  No main character at all.  No problem that needs to be resolved.  In fact, there is no plot.  It's just a rhyming book about a community.  And yeah, I understand that rhyming books aren't looked upon favorably.

Regardless, I had fun writing it and I still have fun when I reread it.  I don't really mind if it doesn't do well.  I like it and seeing it in print will be enough for me.  It's been a lot of fun to work on, which is more than I can say for my experiences in making comics!

After I finish this I have a couple ideas to create a second and third book for the squirrels.  These two will be more plot oriented using characters seen and named in this first book.  They most likely will not rhyme.  Then I have a couple ideas for stories about other woodsland animals - we can stay in the same universe and maybe the squirrels can make a cameo, heh.

Then after that there's a couple well-known public domain tales I'd like to take a crack at (I am VERY tempted by Jack and the Beanstalk especially).  I've got so many plans.

But for this one, I hope to publish it no later than Halloween.  Because of that I'll probably miss making a Thanksgiving book this year (though I have ideas about one!) but I might try for a Christmas one.

None of the aforementioned ideas are meant to be written in the order listed, by the way.  If I go for the Christmas idea, it would definitely have to be first in line.



No comments:

Post a Comment